Thursday, April 29, 2010
grilled chicken pesto pizza
This pizza is so yummy!! It is simple enough to make on a weeknight and special enough for a weekend! :)
2 large handfuls of fresh basil leaves (or buy the packaged kind at the grocery store- the larger sized packages ( you would need two 3.5 oz. pkgs. )
olive oil (enough to make the pesto the consistency you like)
2 t of minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste
your favorite pizza crust (you can get dough from a pizza place or storebought- I used "Mama Mary's" thin crust for this one)
1 - 8 oz. bag of shredded reduced fat mozzarella or other white Italian cheese
1 piece of boneless skinless chicken breast (I butterfly mine and get 2 thin pieces from one thick piece)
1. In a food processor pulse the basil , garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil until desired consistency. Take a few tablespoons of the pesto out of the food processor.
2. Brush the chicken breast with the pesto you removed .
3. Grill the chicken on a grill or grill pan. Let the chicken set for around 5 minutes once cooked to seal in the juices. Then cut into pieces for your pizza.
4. Spread the reserved pesto "sauce"evenly onto the pizza crust. (Do not use the pesto you basted your chicken with!! )
5. Add your favorite cheese (I used shredded Reduced fat 4 cheese Italian- Sargento brand )
6. Top with chicken and bake 7-10 minutes or until crust is golden and cheese is melted.
7. Follow directions on your crust for the baking temperature.
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get the Friday Favorite button on this post. :( so I am putting the site here :) www.theothermama.com (check out Hillary's blog and other Friday Favorites!!)