Monday, April 5, 2010

"Chicken Saltimboca"



I put this recipe title in quotes bc it is actually NOT chicken saltimboca!!  LOL ;) My husband and I call it this bc the first time I made this  creation, I was in fact setting out to make chicken saltimboca. When I started making the recipe I realized it did not sound like something my hubby and I would like so as I was making it, I changed the recipe to something I thought we would like. I was right! :) So the chicken actually starts out by making a roll up with chicken, cheese and prociutto just like you would for the CS but that is where the similarities end. This is now one of my husband's favorite dishes and it is pretty simple to make too! Don't let the length of the recipe intimidate you, it really is quite simple to make. :)

Ingredients: (4 servings)
4 boneless skinless pieces of chicken (cut in hald like you are butterflying it but actually cut it in half to make 2 thinner pieces out of one thick piece)
8 slices of think prociutto (get from the deli)
8 slices of provolone cheese (sliced medium) - you can get low fat in the packaged lunchmeat and cheese section)
1/2 cup seasoned panko or regular breadcrumbs
1/3 cup parmesean cheese (the sprinkle kind)
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg beaten with 1 Tablespoon of water

1. Prepare the egg by beating one egg and add a little water together.
2. Prepare the breadcrumb mixture by mixing the breadcrumbs, parm. cheese and salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. After cutting chicken into 8 thin pieces pound out to make a little thinner (if you'd like or leave it how it is)
4. Layer the prociutto and cheese on each piece of chicken.
5. Roll each piece long ways so that they look like thick roll ups (add a toothpick to keep together while you are rolling the rest)
6. (optional) you can throw in the freezer for around 15-20 minutes or so to make the chicken roll ups easier to cut into thin roll slices (kind of like you would cut a pumpkin roll or cinnamon rolls).  If you don't put in freezer it will still work just fine but they won't look as pretty (mine were not put in the freezer- that's why they look like shrimp LOL  but they still taste just as good).
7. Use a sharp knife to cut each roll up into thin roll ups (each piece of chicken should give you around 4 roll ups,  and if you used toothpicks take them out on this step.
8. Dip each roll up into egg, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Be sure to coat both sides.
9. Bake in a baking pan or pyrex dish for around 30 minutes or until lightly browned and chicken is cooked through.
10. Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment